Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Censored Posting

In yesterday's entry, I mentioned a response to a poster on the HUFFINGTON site that got edited out of sight. The original comment came from a person who was gleeful at how his candidate, Senator McCain, had clearly won the Saddleback "debate." I pointed out that what went on at Saddleback could hardly be called a debate and that his candidate looked good mainly because he was often not responding to the questions but simply plugging in stories (the cross in the dirt) and statements ("gates of hell") that had been field-tested previously. I compared Reverend Warren's tolerance of this behavior to what we might all undertake for an old but lovable uncle who meanders sometimes when he's telling stories at the dinner table. I further pointed out that a real moderator might have sought clarification when the question"What's been your greatest moral failure?" was answered with the very generalized response of "my first marriage." Here, although the question was to the person, the answer omits any mention of the person. Was the undertaking of the first marriage a problem? Was the condition of the spouse after her accident the problem? (Doubtful since neither of these was a moral failing.) Basically, the Senator was allowed to skate while receiving kudos for his directness in answering questions. And no mention of his adulterous behavior was made or sought after. Don't get me wrong, I could care less about his marital misadventure. I leave all the judgmental moralizing to such chosen ones as Hannity, O'Reilly and Limbaugh. But when a man is misdirecting like a magician, I don't want to be told that he won a "debate" by being a straight shooter. McCain may want to treat me like a "chum" but I ain't no "chum-p"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home